Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ceramic Cubes

I thought today's bead was a ceramic TURQUOISE cube until I just looked at the tag to get the exact description for this post.

The tag reads, 7" BD STRND RAKU SM CUBE GRN. These "GRN" beads are Blue Moon Beads from Michael's. I honestly did not think they were green, but see now that the bluish tint with the yellowing effect sort of creates a greenish color. Interesting!

I also just learned that the Raku ceramic technique involves firing in a kiln to a temperature of 1800 degrees farenheit and then placed in a container with a combustible material such as paper or sawdust causing it to catch on fire to create a unique effect. Wow, quite a bit of work went into creating these cool beads!

These are currently being used on some of the bookmarks I am making with my book cover on them, but I also think they would be great in a chunky bracelet or even as a single focal bead in a more delicate necklace.

These appear to be somewhere around 10 or 12mm and I also found some that are even larger in a great brown color. I just need to dig them up and post them here to show you.

Hope all is well and you are having a great week!!

3 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Hi Lisa! If you have a local pottery shop, find out if they do raku firing. It is really cool. We did it last year with my kids and the results are really unpredictable and beautiful. If you like raku pieces, try Lisa Peters Art for unique raku components.
Do stop by Treasures Found for a little creative blog challenge I am hosting!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Kokopelli said...

I once in a shop, whose owner made her own raku dishes. Beautiful! And those beads have a nice color!

Azure Accessories said...

Nice beads...at a Market I do in the summer a neighbor vendor does horse hair raku pottery and her pieces are gorgeous!

Cheers