Monday, January 11, 2010

Sentimental Jewelry

I re-discovered two of these musical note charms tonight while looking through a jewelry box.

They were earrings that belonged to my Grandma. I am not sure if she bought them or if they were a gift because she was in the chorus at her local senior center for many years.

She is no longer with us and since these were probably some of her favorite earrings at one point, I was thinking I might use them in a charm bracelet of some kind.

I enjoy wearing earrings and an occassional necklace, but bracelets are my favorite because you can see the beads without removing the jewelry.

You can just be going about your business throughout the day and catch a glimpse of a crystal or pretty combination of beads that makes you smile. Maybe it's some musical notes, formerly worn as earrings by your Grandma. A sense of family and the personality of that person can change your attitude or outlook in a split second. Pretty amazing, I love when that happens!

Now, the question is, what other beads to use with them? My Grandma was the kind of person who, in her middle aged days, had a purse that matched her shoes which coordinated with her outfit and topped off with costume jewelry that brought it all together in a nice, neat package.

Even later on in her life, she was always nicely coordinated, even if she was wearing a polo shirt, it was likely ironed neatly and worn with casual jewelry and cute canvas shoes. She certainly had her own special style. She did wear a lot of red, white and blue which always looked nice and crisp. Maybe that's the answer!

I'm so glad I have come down memory lane for a minute, it was nice to remember these things about a special person who just happened to be my Grandma.

8 comments:

cleobytheseao said...

That was such a lovely post describing your grandma. She sounds like the kind of grandma everyone would love to have. It's very befitting that you design your bracelet around her identity which will make it ever so special.

Now you'll have me hunting in my bits and bobs box! :)

Be~Jeweled by Jana said...

Thanks for taking us down memory lane with you. It sounds like your grandma was a very neat lady!

flyingbeader said...

It is so nice to remember loved ones long gone by holding something that they treasured. I can see a wonderful bracelet with that earring as the centerpiece.

Azure Accessories said...

I enjoyed hearing about your Grandma...she sounds as though she was a very special lady!!!

Complete coordination was the fashion years ago...so she must have been very stylish as well!

I think it is wonderful that you are going to make something in her memory!

Earrings and bracelets are my favorite, I never leave home without them, most often three bracelets!!!

Cheers

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa, guess what I sent the proposal off to North Light and Tonia asked to see a more complete outline with specifics on techniques. Do you think I might have a deal in the works? Is this how it happened for you? I am excited. Thank you for all of your help. Denise

Anonymous said...

it´s so beautiful...
kisses from Spain!
http://chicparati.blogspot.com/

Dawn Doucette said...

Awww, Lisa, I can almost hear your grandma humming as she went along doing her daily chores. What a beautiful description of her.

How special that you still have those charms. I'm sure you'll find just the right colors to use with them! And your grandma will look down and smile knowing you've got a piece of her here with you forever.

Plutolia said...

you could mix the charms with black and while keeping in theme- and create a peice opera worthy!
http://www.stonesandfindings.com/Stones/types/onyx-black/faceted-round/
http://www.stonesandfindings.com/Stones/family-moonstone/moonstone/all/