Monday, January 25, 2010

Giant Glass Pearls!

Today's bead is a white 16mm glass pearl from Blue Moon Beads. This is one of the packages I bought with my JoAnn, etc. gift card a week or so ago.

I have never used glass pearls this large, but I am not opposed to using glass pearls or any kind of bead or materials.

I enjoy the trial and error phase! I figure if I can wear something, like it, get a few positive comments and it stays together, I have a successful design, method and materials.

I think this would be cute as a single bead on a thin silver chain or the focal bead in a memory wire bracelet. This would also be so fun hanging from a long wire on earrings OR a long bracelet dangle that bangs into things and makes me laugh!

I don't know why I get a kick out of hearing a bunch of extra large dangles banging into things, but I do!

So, what do you think? Giant glass pearl bead...cute or tacky?

11 comments:

Dee said...

Wow, 16mm! I used some 14mm a while back, with some spacers and bicones. I haven't seen them in 16mm! Whatever you make, it will be exciting!

ohdawno said...

If you make it, it'll be cute! Big and bold are very in this season (or so I've seen here and there) so I can understand why Blue Moon would be offering much larger beads and pearls. Me, I'd probably put 'em with some really large gunmetal links on a long necklace...

Mikki said...

They look great when you do a seed bead netting over them :)

Jeannie said...

Absolutely a must. I love them. You could buy some more and do a whole Betty Rubble necklace.

Cathryn said...

I like them from a distance! I wonder if I can wear them...I'll have to see.

Rose said...

I love "I figure if I can wear something, like it, get a few positive comments and it stays together..." That's my checklist too.

I think the earrings sound delicious. And how exciting to try something new!

Looking forward to seeing what you create!

Azure Accessories said...

Those are great...I love them...I'm finding bigger is better right now...so go for it!!! This fall/winte I made numerous long and short necklaces using large sized beads...

Personally I would love the single one on a chain, but a complete necklace would be gorgeous for a sedated suit!!!

What ever you make will be great...
Cheers

Kirsten said...

I've used them....and they are great as a focal bead for an exciting and edgy pearl necklace.... great to experiment and step outside the box... you go girl! I hope that you will post what you make... love to see it.

Just A Tish said...

cute=tacky ;)

Lisa Crone said...

Wow, I LOVE all these ideas! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Daphne said...

I love big beads. We have some great 18mm Firepolished beads that are popular. It can add such a unique flair to a piece of jewelry. Pearls are pretty popular right now too. We only have 12mm, but I may look into those big ones, they're beautiful! :)