Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ring in the New

I just came across a couple bracelets that I have worn and worn and worn....but one day, I set them aside. I haven't seen them in a while, probably close to a year. I can see that they are sort of out of shape and just a tad dull from all the wear, but the sparkle still SPARKLES!

I loved each of these bracelets after I made them to the point of not wanting to take them off. I think it must have been the crystals. Sometimes when I love something that I have made, I really do want to sleep in it for some reason.

That might sound silly, but I have a clear memory of being very young and not wanting to take off my new shoes. They were adorable brown shoes with 3 thin buckle straps.

Since I had to take them off, I remember tucking them away in a dresser drawer so I would know where they were when I woke up. I'll have to ask my Mom about it to see if she remembers the same thing.

So, I was wondering if I should take these bracelets apart and use the beads for something new. I don't feel a strong attachment to them any more, so why not?

I'd love to hear from if you have done this with some of your jewelry and how you felt about it afterwards. :)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly how you feel! I can get really attached to my things too. I'll wear the same earrings or other piece of jewelry for days. I think the bracelets are very pretty, but it can also be fun to take things apart and make soemthing entirely new.

Leslie Todd said...

The bracelets are really pretty!

I get very attached to some of my jewelry when I'm making it. I manage to restrain my self though, otherwise I'd never be able to sell anything.

It's okay to remake things. It's one of the perks of designing your own jewelry.

Anonymous said...

I love the bracelets. I have worn things for a while and then one day looked at them and decided to make something else. I love to do this with old jewelry that has been forgotten, reinvent something new. Thanks! for the nice comment you left on my blog.

Azure Accessories said...

Great bracelets...I do the same thing...wear something for ever then one day make something new and that is my forever bracelet/earrings for awhile!!! :0)

I've taken things apart and made myself something different...makes for a nice change...I've actually thought of offering that service to my customers..."Re-purposed Jewelry"...but I haven't gotten around to it yet!!!

You know if you don't feel a strong attachment to them and you haven't worn them in ages then I'd say go for it...you can make something that might be a favorite for a while...
Cheers

Cathryn said...

I get attached to jewelry as well--especially those that I made that have a significant meaning to me. I love that first bracelet BTW and that's one I'd keep.

However, I've also been known to tear apart the jewelry I've made for myself to "make it better!" LOL

Just A Tish said...

that pearl and crystal bracelet is fantastic. mind if i borrow this design? i have a show the end of the month and i think these would sell like hotcakes!! beautiful!

Lisa Crone said...

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not alone in falling for a piece of jewelry! I think I'm going to be brave and take these apart. Thanks for the feedback!! :)

Mary K. McGraw said...

Good decision. I take old things apart all the time. Tastes change. That is what is so great about bead.

Kokopelli said...

I know exactly how you feel about your pieces. When I made something, I sometimes take it with me to the bedroom in the evening, just to have it close to me and be able to have a look at it the next morning. That's weird, isn't it?
I took apart some of my older jewelry pieces and recycled the beads. Mostly I loved the outcome and have to think about in which pieces the beads were before.
BTW, the first bracelet is beautiful. Love it!