Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sun Detecting Beads

I just had to share this website with you that I came across today. Very interesting!

I have heard of beads that glow in the dark and maybe even those that turn color, but I don't remember seeing beads used to alert the person wearing them to possibly harmful UV rays!

The website, UV Sol Beads, states, "The intensity of the beads' color increases with the amount of UV exposure, and the beads will remain off-white in the absence of UV light. Watch the magic as they cycle back and forth over 50,000 times!"

Additionally, "UV Sol Beads was started by a science teacher who has used these beads as a teaching tool for her students. When a friend got skin cancer, she wanted to reach more people with this simple detection device. Tie one on your body, umbrella, baby stroller, surfboard, golf bag, tennis bag, purse; anywhere that could remind you to protect your skin in the sun."


Since we've been talking about sunshiny beads and memories, I thought this would be nice to share. It is important to stay safe out in the sun while we drink up the happy health benefits!

6 comments:

The Cabby Crafter said...

That's pretty cool :)
By the way, I am new to your blog - i love it!

Cathryn said...

Interesting concept! It really brought to life for me that many doctors are saying we don't get enough Vitamin D and yet too much exposure is also dangerous for us.

TesoriTrovati said...

That is a totally cool invention! I had some t-shirts from the Bahamas that had the image show up only in the sun. This would be a great thing for a girl scout troop to make and sell (if I had a girl scout troop!)

Enjoy the day!
Erin

Seaexplore said...

I'm a science teacher and have sun beads on my key lanyard (plumber's chain). The kids love to watch them change colors when we go outside. :) They're very cool beads.

We've also "tested" sunscreen with them- get some beads and slather them up in a baggie. Some sunscreens don't work worth a darn, others are awesome.

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

That is so cool Lisa! I guess I can go look, but I would be interested in the beads to add to my polymer clay beads. I wonder if they would handle baking? What a neat idea!

Lisa Crone said...

Thanks so much, great comments! I had a thought for Cindy Lietz, how about making a polymer clay sun and attaching some of these sun detecting beads as a key chain or necklace?! :)