Friday, October 23, 2009

Featured Designer: Lisa Burkin of Island Girl Designs

It's Featured Designer Friday, yay!! What a great day this is! I can't tell you how much I look forward to it.

This week's designer is doing something amazing that I had never seen before!! Lisa Burkin of Island Girl Designs has been making one of a kind jewelry using REAL FLOWERS, gemstone beads, sterling silver, 14K goldfilled and vintage elements, since 2001.

What struck me immediately was the fact she is using these real flowers that she has solidified in resin. WHAT!? I had no idea this was possible and am so thrilled she agreed to allow me to post her work here today.

Her Etsy site descriptions of these flowers reads, "I have coated the rose in poly resin, which preserves it forever, and makes it very durable, yet lightweight."

She then uses these solidified flowers in jewelry pieces with fabulous gemstones and pearls which continues with the "nature" theme.
The flower's colors are brilliant and you can't help but feel a deep appreciation for the miracle of nature's design.
Thanks so much Lisa!! I am now a HUGE fan!

6 comments:

Lisa Lutz said...

Wow! I followed the link to your blog from twitter. I was curious about "resin" and real flowers! These are great!

Deb for DelicateLinks said...

These are beautiful! I use resin and its really messy and sometimes doesn't always do what you want it to do! I can't imagine doing it with real flowers! This is really great work!

Be~Jeweled by Jana said...

Wow! These are amazing and beautiful!

Little Glory said...

Very interesting and unusual works!These are great!

Azure Accessories said...

These are gorgeous...such talent!!!

Cheers

Unknown said...

Pretty!