Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cute Scary or Scary Cute?

How would you classify these beads? Cute scary or scary cute? Maybe just cute!

These make GREAT halloweeny jewelry!

From what I understand, these beads are inspired by a Mexican celebration, El Dia de los Muertos (the Day of the Dead). The purpose is to celebrate, remember and prepare special foods in honor of those who have departed.

On this day in Mexico, the streets near cemeteries are filled with decorations including candy calaveras (skeletons and skulls).

It is believed the spirit of the dead visit their families on October 31st and leave on November 2nd.

If you have first-hand knowledge of this celebration, I'd love to hear more about it. In the mean time, they are just fun beads!

9 comments:

Just A Tish said...

I love sugar skulls!! These are a big seller for me - everyone says - oh they are so cute!! (never scary)

Unknown said...

my beadroom is decorated w/ day oh the dead & skulls so these aren't scary @ all! where are they from?

Diana P. said...

My husband just got a sugar skull tattooed on his leg. I am actually experimenting making raku sugar skull beads. I love the inspiration I get from Day of the Dead.

Patterns for Beads said...

Back when I had a bead store, I carried the Day of the Dead white heads with black eyes. A woman came in and said that was horrible and should not be sold! I told her that the people of Mexico who revere their ancestors might be quite offended! I personally like the stuff.

Lisa Crone said...

Thanks for the comments! I like them too and think i'd classify them as cute! These came from www.Rings-things.com.

Anonymous said...

These are way too cute to be at all scary! I love them and I am not at all "into" cute.

Harry's Handmade Jewelry Ideas said...

I have been making skull items a figures for quite a while. They are available at my etsy shop www.oscarcrow.etsy.com Mine are ceramic and are flat back or pierced for haning..I love the look of the traditional day of the dead pieces.

Silver Jewelry Jaipur said...

its looks to cute not so scary

Admin said...

Cute! this is good for those EMOs.

Andrew * UniformPOINT
buy uniforms