Thursday, March 12, 2009

Swarovski Disco Balls!!

Wow, talk about sparkly! I've had these beads for a while, but they ended up mixed in with some other clear crystals until I spotted them yesterday. I was calling them "disco balls" because I wasn't sure what they were actually called.

Well, much to my amusement, here is what I found:
Crystal AB Swarovski Crystal 5003 Disco 6mm

If you haven't seen this bead in person, it is well worth the effort of seeking it out. I'm not sure an online photo can do it justice. They are faceted just as the swarovski rounds, but there is something unusual happening down the middle of them that involves slightly thinner and more rectangular facets that make the beads appear almost smooth. I've included another view below, but it still doesn't appear as it does to the naked eye.

I'd like to make a 12-bead right angle bauble out of these, but 6mm might be too large. I'll have to look into finding these in the 4mm size. These 6mm beads will work perfectly as little disco ball earrings at the end of long silver chains or long silver lined/clear bugle beads. That's what I like to call the "Mrs. Wiggins" earrings (for any Carol Burnett TV show fans).

I don't know about you, but I am anxious to bring this work week to a close!! Have a good one!!

No comments: