Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Anodized Aluminum Rings

Hello! Today's beads are the most adorable little black jump rings. The tube reads, "Anodized aluminum rings 18G, 3/16". It appears there are 300 of them!! Very exciting!

I thought I would use these to practice some chainmaille designs. I have never attempted chainmaille before, but I came across an unbelievable website recently that piqued my interest. I hadn't paid much attention to chainmaille before because it seemed so complicated. On the website, The Blue Buddha Boutique, I searched through the classes they teach and was amazed. There were gorgeous, intricate and interesting designs that were not just in standard metal finishes, but also in a variety of bright colors.

It was like a light switch was turned on in my brain, I finally got it! It made sense and, while it still seemed complex, it didn't appear to be as difficult as I had previously thought. I did buy some pretty and shiny gold rings in a much larger size as well, but these baby rings seemed like so much fun. I was drawn to all the bright colors, but wanted to stick with basic black to start with so I could wear it to work. I like to live with things for a while to see if I really like them.

I did spend a few minutes linking up all the gold rings and it didn't take any time at all to follow a simple chainmaille pattern. That was certainly very encouraging! I'll keep you posted on these little guys.

Have a great evening!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! I've a friend who said she was going to start playing with chainmaile ... hmm ... going to have to ask her if she ever did.

Ikow Designs said...

I have to warn you... it's extremely addicting! Your life will never be the same, so run now... run as fast as you can and don't look back. It'll suck you right in. LOL