Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Shell "Surfboard" Bead

Isn't this a cool bead? It's so liquidy-pearl looking! I thought it had a bit of a surfboard vibe to it and should definitely be used in a piece that represents the ocean in some way. This is another $1.00 find from my weekend trip to Joann's. Not on my list, but what can I say? Is it possible to pass up a strand of 10 of these beads for $1?
The holes on either end are pretty much asking to be linked together with jump rings or wire wrapped loops. I have a tendency to gravitate toward silver or silver plated findings, but the nice ivory tone in these shell beads would work beautifully with gold toned findings. Hey, I just thought about those gold jump rings I bought recently... How about making wire wrapped loops to go through the bead holes and using the one and only chainmaille pattern I know (1-2-1 ?) to connect the loops. I think that would make a nice necklace, no focal bead, just sort of simple.

What do you think? Okay, I suppose I could dangle something from it...AND, I will probably need to add a few crystals within the chainmaille pattern. Let me know!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

That is a beautiful bead Lisa! It would work well with gold or silver chain and some little crystal beads too (pearlescent to compliment or pure colours for some contrast). Thanks for visiting my blog and featuring of my button rings would be fantastic!! :)
Val (Black Rose)