Saturday, April 11, 2009

This Week's Jewelry: Artiscape Necklace

This week's jewelry project is a necklace made with a variety pack of fresh water pearls that I received from Rings & Things. The package included these pearly x-shaped pieces, creamy tan colored swirly rounds and many other small rounds in a multitude of colors. I had a lot of fun admiring these and was anxious to work them into a project for the upcoming Artiscape event I mentioned recently.

All participants at this event were provided a skeleton key and have the option to make any type of handmade item, using the key, to place in a silent auction for charity on the last day. The theme for the event is "The Age of Innocence" - "The rustle of silk and glitter of diamonds". The event is being held in the "Discovery District" which is full of victorian mansions, ornate wrought iron and a topiary garden.

I thought these pearls would work well in a victorian inspired necklace and wanted to use the x-shaped pieces as a focal point. Yes, they literally have points on them! I wasn't sure about the focal pearls, but I just couldn't bring myself to remove them, they are so pretty and unique. I used the black jump rings and 24 gauge black craft wire to represent the wrought iron popular during that time period.

7 comments:

ohdawno said...

Excellent interpretation of the theme, if you ask me! Love the use of those "x-pearls" - quite exotic, and as the Victorians, if I recollect correctly, had an intense fascination in all things exotic and unique from other lands. Love it!

barbe said...

its pretty!

barbe said...

my friend Sarah Hodson is teaching there, say hello to her. she's a SWEEETTTIE!

kasi1983 said...

I love these x pearls. I have ordered a strand of them as well and I'm waiting for them desperately. Thanks for this inspriration, the necklace is wonderful

Be~Jeweled by Jana said...

It's beautiful!

The Beading Gem said...

Just lovely! BTW the Easter Bunny has a surprise for you. I just gave you the Kreativ award. Please drop by my blog and read what I wrote about you! Pearl

Dave Robertson said...

Nice work, Lisa. The cross ("X") pearls have been so popular, people can't resist them at our bead shows...so I think there'll be a taker for your striking necklace!

--Dave
(@Rings_Things on Twitter)