Saturday, April 11, 2009

This Week's Jewelry: Artiscape Necklace

This week's jewelry project is a necklace made with a variety pack of fresh water pearls that I received from Rings & Things. The package included these pearly x-shaped pieces, creamy tan colored swirly rounds and many other small rounds in a multitude of colors. I had a lot of fun admiring these and was anxious to work them into a project for the upcoming Artiscape event I mentioned recently.

All participants at this event were provided a skeleton key and have the option to make any type of handmade item, using the key, to place in a silent auction for charity on the last day. The theme for the event is "The Age of Innocence" - "The rustle of silk and glitter of diamonds". The event is being held in the "Discovery District" which is full of victorian mansions, ornate wrought iron and a topiary garden.

I thought these pearls would work well in a victorian inspired necklace and wanted to use the x-shaped pieces as a focal point. Yes, they literally have points on them! I wasn't sure about the focal pearls, but I just couldn't bring myself to remove them, they are so pretty and unique. I used the black jump rings and 24 gauge black craft wire to represent the wrought iron popular during that time period.

7 comments:

Dawno said...

Excellent interpretation of the theme, if you ask me! Love the use of those "x-pearls" - quite exotic, and as the Victorians, if I recollect correctly, had an intense fascination in all things exotic and unique from other lands. Love it!

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

its pretty!

Barbe Saint John/ Saints and Sinners® said...

my friend Sarah Hodson is teaching there, say hello to her. she's a SWEEETTTIE!

kasi1983 said...

I love these x pearls. I have ordered a strand of them as well and I'm waiting for them desperately. Thanks for this inspriration, the necklace is wonderful

Be~Jeweled by Jana said...

It's beautiful!

The Beading Gem said...

Just lovely! BTW the Easter Bunny has a surprise for you. I just gave you the Kreativ award. Please drop by my blog and read what I wrote about you! Pearl

Dave Robertson said...

Nice work, Lisa. The cross ("X") pearls have been so popular, people can't resist them at our bead shows...so I think there'll be a taker for your striking necklace!

--Dave
(@Rings_Things on Twitter)