Thursday, September 16, 2010

Is there Sparkly Hemp Cord?

I've been thinking about the stones from yesterday's post and wondering how they would work with hemp cord. I think it will have to be at least a medium weight cording so I'll have to check the hole size.

Once that is worked out, I have this thought, it might be a little crazy, but what do you think about sparkly hemp cord? I haven't had a chance to google it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually exists.

If it doesn't, I have to believe that with all my crazy crafting antics, I should be able to figure out how to glitter some up.

Did you ever use yarn as a kid, dipped in white glue and then wrapped in spirography designs over a blown up balloon? Once the yarn dries, you pop the balloon and pull it out so you have a cool artsy form. I vaguely remember using glitter on the yarn before the glue dried.

You know, I think I could use the white glue and glitter approach with the hemp cord!!!! Who doesn't love glitter? I have used white glue and glitter on e-beads before and the extra benefit was leaving just a little bit of sparkle on my neck. Yep, that's what I'm going to do.

I just had a chance to google "sparkly hemp cord" and nothing came up...

What do you think?

5 comments:

d'Olivia said...

I have some sparkly lame' cord in both silver and gold that I bought, I think, from Michaels. I've used it in some designs. It is not as thick perhaps as hemp, but it's got the sparkly going for it.

Cindy Liets, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

I have never tried this, but you may be able to dip your fingers in glitter glue or glitter fabric paint and then 'pull' the hemp through your fingers to make it sparkly. A glitter floral spray might work as well. You would need to make sure the hemp was good and soaked with the stuff or it would probably just come off when you strung the beads on it. An alternative would be to use two strands at once... one hemp and the other sparkly thread or yarn. It is always fun to experiment, isn't it?!

Do Be Do Bead Do said...

How about some of the sparkly mist used in scrapbooking. Like maya mist or tattered angels. I know it would work!

Lisa Crone said...

WOW, excellent ideas! Thank you so much, I will keep you posted!

Kokopelli said...

I only have some sparkly crochet/knit yarn in my stash, with gold and silver threads woven in.
I think using the white glue would make the yarn break, but how about using the balloon technique on a cuff shaped form and make a cuff with the stones and cord? So you don't have to worry about breaking cord and the cuff would hold its shape.