Saturday, April 4, 2009

This Week's Jewelry: Art Deco Choker

This week's jewelry piece is an "art deco" choker made with the 27mm black Swarovski rivoli from Artbeads.com. The reason I wanted to use these rivoli's was due to their art deco vibe.

I first learned something about art deco when I started searching out antique stores and flea markets for kitschy pieces from the 1950's. While these two styles are vastly different, you can still see the art deco influence in the styles of the 50's. It's in everything from the double decker lamp shades to the plastic salt and pepper shakers. Interestingly, this design style began appearing in the 1920's and was greatly influenced by Egyptian design due to the fact that King Tut's tomb was discovered in 1922.

Since I mentioned these rivoli's in Thursday's post, I've had lots of ideas for incorporating them, but this is the one I liked the most. It is made on two strands of choker memory wire, with both strands going through the back of the rivoli's.

Let me know what you think! Have a great evening!

4 comments:

ohdawno said...

Brilliant and beautiful! It's always satisfying when a stone or bead just tells you exactly what it wants to be.

Be~Jeweled by Jana said...

I really like that!

Carole said...

Love the piece!

Just A Tish said...

Hawt! I never thought of using memory wire for a choker, only bracelets.

You have opened my eyes today!!