Thursday, April 22, 2010

How do you Create a Bead Mix?

Tonight's beads are leftovers from a mix that I previously used to make a crocheted bracelet. I just love this shade of green and remember thinking how cool it was that these little round/flat beads matched the tint so perfectly.

The foil star was sort of the icing on the cake! A little over the top, but it just didn't have the pizzazz needed without it.

These are the types of things you can't really plan out in your head, you have to toss beads in a pile and see how they make you feel when creating a mix. At least, that's how it seems to work for me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on creating mixes if you have a sec!

7 comments:

Just A Tish said...

That is exactly how I do it. I love to grab a random mix and see how they turn out. Now most times in that random mix, i will have to go back thru my beads and hand pick those certain accent beads :) I love how the random selection really gets the juices flowing as well. these are lovely!

Kokopelli said...

Normally I don't do my own bead mixes, just try to blend together seedbeads, but keep them apart (no one loves to sort out seeds!). But I buy bead mixes, if they appeal to me and turn on my creativity.

Azure Accessories said...

Great color combo Lisa...

Sometimes I toss and sometimes I choose a focal small/large,then look in my stash for to see what I can find!
Sometimes these ways work and sometimes they don't...sometimes everything goes back where it came from and I start all over again!!! :0)
Cheers

Unknown said...

This is my favorite way to bead now! No longer am I content with symmetrical patterns that contain matching beads, I have to have all sorts of textures and colors mixed up in a random fashion!

WTF Store said...

I think the key to creating just the right mix is planning out how you'll use it before hand. Otherwise you end up with beads that look great, but are too big or too small for the design.

Dawn Doucette said...

All very good comments! I'm a planner for the most part. Although, I have been known to be impulsive when I see a piece (either a focal or set of beads) that just clicks with something I have in my stash.

I dig the greens... makes me feel all springy & stuff! :o)

Have a terrific weekend Lisa!

Stefanie said...

I grab beads that contrast or complement each other and begin to play around. Colors are very important to me and I love to play with them. Usually the result is a lot diffrent from what I planned in the beginning. regards from Germany Stefanie