Saturday, April 21, 2012

Long Live the Glass Bead!

I just wanted to share a quick thought with you while I get back to a project I'm working on this weekend.

The beauty of using only glass beads or gemstones in a project pretty much means you can recycle them forever! Sometimes wire and even precious metals have a tendency to show their age and need a little more care than I seem to have to give.

Glass and gems can be gently washed and dried and they are ready for another lifetime!

Here is an example of that. This little woven piece made of faceted glass and Toho glass seed beads was previously used by wiring it onto a silver plated ring form. The ring form was tarnished beyond my ability to bring it back.

I carefully cut the wires holding it on the ring form, used dishwashing liquid and warm water to wash it up and am getting ready to hot glue it on to one of the black ring forms I mentioned here recently.

Yay, glass beads!

1 comment:

Kathy Cruz said...

I agree! I dislike using wire because sometimes not only does it tarnish but it'll leave a green residue on the beads! Feel free to check out my blog, I love beading as well! kathykat216.blogspot.com