Monday, November 2, 2009

Arts & Crafts Week: "Frog" Closure

I am not kidding you, this is actually called a "Frog" Closure. This Dritz product came from the sewing/embellishment aisle at Joann Etc. I happened to spot it while I was looking for buttons to use as closures for my peyote stitch bracelets.

I couldn't pass it up because it was such a nice shiny black and seemed to fit perfectly across my wrist. I had lots of ideas for using it as the focal piece of a bracelet which would also be the closure!

As you can see, this was a great project that took place in my head only... I'm now thinking it would be nice to use tiny silver faceted rounds or crystals in a right angle weave as the band around the wrist. That way, it could be worn sparkly side up or black, shiny side up.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and whether you've ever used something like this in your jewelry making endeavors!

12 comments:

Cathryn said...

I actually used tassels once in a creation that my gf has now. It work out beautifully. I think this will work for you as well!

Алёна said...

I bought these to use as a button on daughter's summer coeat

Be~Jeweled by Jana said...

I love your idea! I think it will be very pretty just as you describe it. Can't wait to see it!

Mikki said...

I love those. I have a few metal ones....pewter, I think, left over from when I had the time to costume. I came across them last week and was thinking to myself I should try to incorporate them into some jewelry. Lisa, you and I seem so often to be on the same track...do we share a brain?

flyingbeader said...

Interesting idea for a bracelet closer...I'm going to have to experiment

Just A Tish said...

i remember when these were in style - like big time. they had to be on every jacket. I had a hot pink bolero jacket with these frogs on the front. I was styling and profil'n!

Susan Marling said...

What a fantastic idea - very dramatic. I use to use them on quilted jackets when I was making those but this is great.

Azure Accessories said...

What a great idea...I think they are very unique and will make a wonderful closure for a bracelet!

Cheers

Gail w. said...

I have 3 frogs in my winter closet,I live in S.C. and it's not chilly yet.No telling what's in my closets.Thanks for the idea.

Melissa J. Lee said...

I used this exact frog as a closure on my son's Robin Hood costume cape - worked beautifully! I like the idea of using it as a closure on a cuff bracelet.

The Beading Gem said...

Great minds think alike! Yes, I did purchase a frog closure specifically for jewelry but it is still on my to-do list!

Anonymous said...

I often shop the aisles of the fabric store for interesting closures/clasps for my jewelry. It's fun to repurpose items used for clothing - I have used buttons, snaps, eyelets, tassels, these frog closures (metal and corded). They add a unique, whimsical quality to the jewelry. Can't wait to see how you use the frog.