Saturday, August 30, 2014

Learning something new!

Kumihimo! It's fun to say and if you like to craft, it's fun to create.

Well, I might be getting ahead of myself.

While on vacation in July, I cut all the cording and knotted it to the board, added the weights and then had to come home.

It's been wrapped up and put away for over a month. Now we're taking a mini-trip for the holiday weekend and it seems like the perfect thing to take along.

It's all wrapped up and ready to be packed!

I can't wait to see if I can master this cool weaving method.

The instructions seem pretty simple and I know LOTS of people do this, so I'm not going to be afraid!

If you're not familiar with kumihimo, here's a link to wikipedia.

If you've experienced kumihimo yourself, please share your stories. I could use the encouragement! :)

5 comments:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I'm not experienced. I'm another wannabe. A friend who does beautiful kumihimo lent me a board. I bought an online class and some fiber. That's as far as I got. About a year has gone by. Shame on me! You've inspired me to just do it! Good luck with yours.

Lisa Crone said...

Oh Eileen, thank you so much! I needed that! ;)

Delta Jewel said...

I have not used the square board only the round on. but I am addicted to it. Biggest problem with the round Kumihimo is finding end caps that fit. Everyone has their own way of putting on end caps. If anyone needs help with the round board, I can probably answer your question.

Lisa Crone said...

Delta Jewel, thank you so much! I might have to take you up on the help! :)

Almost Precious said...

I have a drawer full of Kumihimo supplies and for awhile I was making braided cords daily. For some reason I got side tracked and haven't used my Kumihimo looms/boards in several months. Guess it is about time to get them out and start braiding again. Would love to try beaded Kumihimo but just have not taken that step yet. Perhaps someday soon. :)